FAQs: Advanced Standing MScOT

Admission requirements and information about courses can be found on the Advanced Standing Program page.
Is the entire program on-line?
The Advanced Standing Option begins with a one-week residency of full-time classes at the University of Toronto in September. The rest of the course work and meetings can all be done in an online environment. Depending on your research, you may have face to face or Skype meetings with your research supervisor.
Can I work while I am studying?
We welcome part-time students! Students in the Advanced Standing Option should plan to spend approximately 12 hours / week on course material with additional time for their research project.
Can I complete my MScOT over a longer-time period?
Absolutely! Please talk to us about the option that will work best for you.
In relation to my application...
a. How do I get a copy of my transcripts?
To access your transcripts, go to your undergraduate university‚Äôs home page or simply Google the name of the university and “transcripts.” It is typically a simple process to request a copy of your official transcripts. There is sometimes a small administrative fee. You will need to have a PDF version of the documents; therefore if they are sent to you in paper form, they will need to be scanned when you apply. If you were previously enrolled at the University of Toronto, you can order your U of T BScOT transcript from the Transcript Centre, using the Paper Form. A U of T Student ID number is not required.b. Do I need funding beyond tuition?
No, you do not require any additional funding. We encourage you to speak to your employer about opportunities for tuition support and flexibility in work hours related to your studies.

c. Will I have access to Scholarships and Awards
There are no dedicated Scholarships and Awards for students in the Advanced Standing MScOT Admissions Option. You are free to apply for University wide awards targeted at students in graduate level programs. In addition, your employer may have scholarship and/or bursary awards available.

Does everyone have to do a research project?
Becoming familiar with the research process is a foundational component of graduate studies. The project offers you the opportunity to explore an area of interest more deeply than you might otherwise. We expect that all students will present and publish their work.
How do I find a research supervisor?
Your research supervisor or co-supervisor must be a member of the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy; they can be core, status only, adjunct or cross-appointed faculty member.
Once you are confident that you meet eligibility to apply, you can start thinking about a good fit for your research supervisor. To find a supervisor, please start by speaking with Dr. Deirdre Dawson. You can contact Deirdre at d.dawson@utoronto.ca

Can I have a research supervisor from the Department of Physical Therapy?
You could have a supervisor from the Department of Physical Therapy as long as they are cross-appointed to the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy OR you have a co-supervisor who is appointed to OS&OT.

If I am in a non-clinical role, can I do research related to leadership, program evaluation and systems change?
Yes! We welcome research on a wide range of occupational science and occupational therapy topics related to the many roles of occupational therapists.