Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Associate Member
- Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Sciences
- Adjunct Scientist, Bloorview Research Institute, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Patty Rigby, PhD, OT Reg (Ont), is a part-time Associate Professor in the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy. Patty is also an Adjunct Scientist in the Bloorview Research Institute, Holland Bloorview Kid’s Rehabilitation Hospital in Toronto. Patty has many years of clinical experience working with children with physical disabilities, and learning and behavioural disorders. She has made these populations a primary focus for her research, and teaches about OT with children. She is also a member of a team of OT researchers from McMaster University who developed the Person-Environment-Occupation (PEO) Model for OT practice and worked with these colleagues to co-edit an OT textbook on environmental interventions. She has also published numerous book chapters about assessing and intervening with the environment.
- King, G., Rigby, P., & Avery, L. Revised Measure of Environmental Qualities of Activity Settings (MEQAS-48) for youth leisure and life skills activity settings. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2016 Jul;38(15):1509-20 DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2015.1103792
- Gerhardt S, McCallum A, MacDougall C, Keenan S, Rigby P. The goal of making friends for youth with disabilities: creating a goal menu. Child: Care, Health and Development. 2015;41(6):1018–1029.
- King G, Batorowicz B, Rigby P,, Pinto M, Thompson L, Goh F. The leisure activity settings and experiences of youth with severe disabilities. Dev Neurorehabil. 2014 Aug 1;17(4):259-69.
- King G, Batorowicz B, Rigby, P, McMain-Klein M, Thompson L, & Pinto M. Development of a measure to assess youth’s self-reported experiences of activity settings (SEAS). International Journal of Disability, Development and Education. 2014 Mar;61(1):44-66.
- King G, Rigby P, Batorowicz B, McMain-Klein M, Petrenchik T, Thompson L, Gibson M. Development of a direct observation Measure of Environmental Qualities of Activity Settings. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2014 Feb 15;56(8):763-9.
- Ryan SE, Sawatzky B, Campbell KA, Rigby PJ, Roxborough L, Montpetit K & McKeever PD. Functional outcomes associated with adaptive seating interventions in children and youth with wheeled mobility needs. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;95(5):825-831.
- Rich D, Rigby P, Wright V. Mothers’ Experiences with the Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory (PEDI). Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2013 Sep;34(3):271-288. Early Online edition.
- King G, Rigby P, & Batorowicz B. Conceptualizing participation in context for children and youth with disabilities: An activity setting perspective. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2013 Aug;35(18):1578-85.
- Rigby P & Kirsh B. Person-Environment-Occupation Model. (2016) In: T.Krupa & B. Kirsh, editor(s). Psychosocial Frames of Reference: Core for Occupation-Based Practice. 4th edition. Thorofare NJ: Slack Inc.
- Rigby, P, Craciunoiu, O, Stier, J, Letts, L. (in press). Measuring Environmental Factors. In: M. Law, C. Baum, W. Dunn., editor(s). Measuring Occupational Performance. 3rd edition. Thorofare NJ: SLACK Inc.
- Rigby, P., Trentham, B. & Letts, L. (2013). Modifying performance context. In B. Schell, G. Gillen, & M. Scaffa (Eds.) Willard & Spackman’s Occupational Therapy, 12th edition (pp 364-381). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Rigby, P. & Craciunoiu, O. (2013). Assessing context: Home, community and workplace access. In C.Trombly Latham & M.Radomski (Eds.) Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction, 7th edition. Baltimore MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- King, G., Rigby, P., & Avery, L. (2016). Revised Measure of Environmental Qualities of Activity Settings (MEQAS-48) for youth leisure and life skills activity settings. Authors.
- King, G., Rigby, P., Batorowicz, B., Petrenchik, T., McMain-Klein, M., Gibson, M. (2010). Measure of Environmental Qualities of Activity Settings (MEQAS). Authors.
- King, G., Batorowicz, B., Rigby, P., Petrenchik, T., McMain-Klein, M., Gibson, M. (2010). Self-reported Experiences of Activity Settings (SEAS). Authors.
- Ryan, S., Campbell, K., Rigby, P. (2006). Family Impact of Assistive Technologies Scale (FIATS). Authors.
- Margot McMain-Klein, PhD (in progress). Youths with disabilities: Use of computers and virtual social networks. Co-Supervisor with R.Renwick.
- Julie Godin, MSc. (2015). Laval University. Promoting the development of playful interactions of children with ASD: A scoping study. Co-supervisor with A. Freeman.
- Eunice Guo and Elaine Lau, MScOT (2015). Applying the Person-Environment-Occupation Model in occupational therapy research: A scoping review. Supervisor.
- Jenna Watson and Shonna Spencer MScOT (2015). The Person-Environment-Occupation Model and how it is applied in occupational therapy intervention: A scoping review. Supervisor.
Assistive Technology for Children; Impact of Assistive Technology on Family Functioning; Person and Environment Theory and Assessment; Participation and inclusion in the environments and activities of childhood.
- OCT 1251H: Occupational Therapy for Children – Part One. (Course Coordinator)
- OCT 1111Y: Foundations of Occupational Science. (Lab Coordinator)
- Fostering Child Development through Play. A pair of workshops given by P. Rigby, P. Dekker, A. Graham, A. Martin, J. Martin, J. Vertes, C. Welch for Network Child Care Services, Toronto, April 2013.
- Play and playfulness in childcare settings. A pair of workshops given by P. Rigby, P. Dekker, A. Graham, A. Martin, J. Martin, J. Vertes, C. Welch for City of Toronto Municipal Children’s Services Training Program, Toronto, April, 2012.
- How youth with disabilities experience everyday recreational and leisure activity settings: Innovative measures and techniques. Thompson, L., Goh, F., Batorowicz, B., King, G, Gibson, B, Rigby, P, Pinto, M, Mistry, B, Teachman, G, Chau, T. Workshop at the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy (OFCP) 65th Annual Conference: reIMAGINE Cerebral Palsy: How research and therapies can change lives, October, 2012, Toronto.
- Learn to Play and Play to Learn. A workshop given by P. Dekker, A. Graham, A. Martin, J. Martin, P. Rigby, J. Vertes & C. Welch at the City of Toronto Children’s Services: Raising the Bar Conference-Lifting the Field Conference, Toronto, November, 2011
- Rigby, P. How environments influence the participation and inclusion of children and youth with disabilities in daily life. Podium presentation at the Seventh Annual Bloorview Research Institute Symposium, Toronto, Ontario, November 2012.
- Rigby, P. A Professional Reasoning Framework for assistive technology selection and outcome evaluation. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Webinar Lecture, December, 2011.