Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
Heather received her Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy from Queen’s University. She completed her PhD in the School of Rehabilitation Science at McMaster University and a Postdoctoral fellowship at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Department of Clinical Epidemiology, University of Ottawa. Her research focuses on the science of knowledge translation (KT), in particular, narrowing the evidence-to-practice gaps for chronic conditions in rehabilitation. Heather applies theory-based and user-engaged methods to design interventions to change health care provider’s behaviors to be more in keeping with current evidence. With expertise in both qualitative and quantitative methods Heather evaluates the effectiveness of KT interventions to increase rehabilitation therapists’ use of standardized outcome measures, and to understand the effectiveness of audit and feedback on changing health care provider behaviours.
- Colquhoun, H., Levac, D., O’Brien, K., Straus, S., Tricco, A., Perrier, L., Kastner, M., & Moher, D. (2014). Scoping reviews: Time for clarity in definition, methods, and reporting. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 67, 1291-1294.
- Colquhoun H, Leeman J, Michie S, Lokker C, Bragge P, Hempel S, McKibbon KA, Peters GJY, Stevens KR, Wilson MG, Grimshaw J. (2014). Towards a common terminology: a simplified framework of interventions to promote and integrate evidence into health practices, systems, and policies. Implementation Science 2014, 9:51. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-51.
- Ivers, N., Sales, A., Colquhoun, H., Michie, S., Foy, R., Francis, J., & Grimshaw, J. (2014). No more ‘business as usual’ with audit and feedback interventions: Towards an agenda for a reinvigorated intervention. Implementation Science, 9:14. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-14
- Mathew, D., McKibbon, A., Lokker, C., & Colquhoun, H. (2014). “WhatisKT wiki: a platform for knowledge translation terms and definitions – survey of wiki users”. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(1):e21. URL: http://www.jmir.org/2014/1/e21/ doi: 10.2196/jmir.3001
- Urquhart, R., Cornelissen, E., Lal, S., Colquhoun, H., Klein, G., Richmond, S., & Witteman, H. (2013). A community of practice for knowledge translation trainees: an innovative approach for learning and collaboration. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 33(4).
- Colquhoun HL, Brehaut JC, Sales A, Ivers N, Grimshaw J, Michie S, Carroll K, Chalifoux M, & Eva KW. (2013). A systematic review of the use of theory in randomized controlled trials of audit and feedback. Implementation Science, 8:66. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-8-66.
- McKibbon KA, Lokker C, Keepanasseril A, Colquhoun H, Haynes RB, Wilczynski NL. (2012). WhatisKT wiki: a case study of a platform for knowledge translation terms and definitions-Descriptive analysis. Implementation Science, 8:13.
- Colquhoun, H., Letts, L. J., Law, M. C., Macdermid, J. C., & Missiuna, C. A. (2012). Administration of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure: Effect on practice. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. 79(2), 120-129.
- Letts, L., Martin Ginis, K. A., Faulknew, G., Colquhoun, H., Levac, D., & Gorczynski, P. (2011). Preferred Methods and Messengers for Delivering Physical Activity Information to People with Spinal Cord Injury: A Focus Group Study. Rehabilitation Psychology, 56(2), 128-137.
- Cornelissen, E., Urquhart, R., Chan, V., DeForge, R., Colquhoun, H., Sibbald, S., & Witteman, H. (2011). Creating a knowledge translation trainee collaborative: from conceptualization to lessons learned in the first year. Implementation Science, 6:98. doi:10.1186/1748-5908-6-98.
- Colquhoun, H., Letts, L., Law, M., MacDermid, J., & Edwards, M. (2010). Routine administration of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure: Effect on functional outcome. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 57(2), 111-117.
- Colquhoun, H., Letts, L., Law, M., MacDermid, J., & Edwards, M. (2010). Clinical utility of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure for routine use. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 73(2), 48-54.
- Colquhoun, H., Letts, L. J., Law, M. C., Macdermid, J. C., & Missiuna, C. A. (2010) A scoping review of the use of theory in studies of knowledge translation, Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 77, 270-279. doi: 10.2182/cjot.2010.77.5.3.
- Levac, D., Colquhoun, H., & O’Brien, K. (2010). Scoping studies: advancing the methodology. Implementation Science, 5:69. doi:10.1186/1748-5908-5-69.
Heather is currently taking MSc and PhD students
Knowledge translation, evidence-to-practice gaps, chronic conditions, outcome measurement, theory application, knowledge-user engagement, audit and feedback, scoping reviews, systematic reviews, tailored interventions, intervention reporting.
- OCT1141H Assessment in Occupational Therapy
Selected Conference Presentations
- Colquhoun, H., Rafat, I., Sullivan, K., & Grimshaw, J. (2014). Increasing outcome measure use with a behaviour change lens. Paper presentation. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference, Fredericton, NB, May 7-10.
- Colquhoun, H., LaMontagne, M., Fiander, M., Duncan, E., & Grimshaw, J. (2014). Increasing outcome measure use in occupational therapy: A systematic review. Paper presentation. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference, Fredericton, NB, May 7-10.
- Donnelly, C., Colquhoun, H., Cramm, H., Lal, S., LaMontagne, M., & Mofina, A. (2014). Knowledge Translation in Occupational Therapy: The Canadian Landscape. Paper presentation. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference, Fredericton, NB, May 7-10.
- Colquhoun, H., Brehaut, J., Sales, A., Ivers, N., Grimshaw, J., Michie, S., Carroll, K., & Chalifoux, M., and Eva, K. (2013). What kinds of feedback are given to health care providers? A systematic review. Poster presentation. 35th Annual Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making, October, 2013.
- Levac, D., Colquhoun, H., Glegg, S., Sveistrup, H., Millar, P., Finestone, H., DePaul, V., Wishart, L., Harris, J., Brien, M. (2013). Supporting therapists to integrate virtual reality systems within clinical practice: A knowledge translation study. Poster presentation, Canadian Stroke Congress, October 17 – 20, 2013.
- Ivers, N., Grimshaw, J., Colquhoun H., Chignell, M., Brehaut, J., & French, S. (2013). Optimizing The Design And Delivery of Audit And Feedback to Improve Quality of Care, Two-hour Workshop, NAPCRG (North American Primary Care Research Group). Annual Meeting, November 2013.
- Colquhoun H, Helis E, Mayhew A, Belanger D, Worswick J, Sullivan K, Taylor M, Lowe D, Hill S, Grimshaw J. (2013). Improving Evidence-based Prescribing: engaging knowledge users in developing and implementing training for a database of interventions. CADTH Symposium. Oral presentation. May 5-7, 2013, St John’s Nfld.
- Colquhoun, H., Squires, J., & Grimshaw, J. (2012). Methods for designing interventions for behavioural change: Unpacking the Intervention Design Box. Poster presentation. Knowledge Utilization (KU) Colloquium, Melbourne Australia.
- Colquhoun, H., Brehaut, J., Eva, K., Sales, A., Ivers, N., Grimshaw, J., Michie, S., & Carroll, K. (2012). Understanding Audit and Feedback: Applying cognitive theories and constructs to address the ‘intention-behaviour gap’. Paper presentation. 5th Annual NIH Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation, March 19-20.
- Colquhoun, H., Cramm, H., White, C., Lal, S., & Shaw, L. (2012). Developing a knowledge translation agenda in occupational therapy. One hour extended discussion session. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference, Québec City, QC, June 6-9.
- Colquhoun, H., Letts, L., Law, M., Macdermid, J., & Missiuna, C. Routine administration of the COPM: Effect on occupational therapy practice. Paper presentation, June 2011, Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Conference, Saskatoon, Sask.
- Colquhoun, H. (2013).“Closing evidence-to-practice gaps in rehabilitation”. Invited talk to Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario(CHEO), Education Session. Sponsored by Ottawa Pediatric Rehabilitation Research Alliance in partnership with the CHEO Rehab Research Committee and the OCTC Research Advisory Board. Thurs May 23, 2013, 12-1.
- Colquhoun, H., (2013). Terminology issues in knowledge translation, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Colquhoun, H., (2012). Exploring peer mentorship in knowledge translation. Knowledge Translation Trainee Collaborative, Annual Meeting.
- Colquhoun, H., (2012). A systematic review of A&F interventions: The good, the bad and the ugly. International Meeting on Audit and Feedback, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
- Colquhoun, H., (2012). The uptake of standardized outcome measures by occupational therapists. Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne Australia.