Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Science
Dr. Trentham has worked as an occupational therapist with older adults living with physical/emotional challenges to everyday living in a variety of practice contexts including rehabilitation programs, long-term care and primary health care settings. He obtained a BSc(OT) from the University of Alberta, a Master of Environmental Studies (MES) from York University and a PhD from OISE/University of Toronto’s Institute for Life Course and Aging. His research interests are fueled by questions about occupational perspectives on the social determinants of healthy aging; diversity and inclusion perspectives in practice and education; and narrative and participatory approaches to occupational therapy in primary health care practice, education and research. His major projects have included studies on: enabling advocacy and citizenship occupations with older adults; life histories of older gay men; and occupational therapy history.
- McGrath, C., Laliberte Rudman, D., Spafford, M., Trentham, B., & Polgar, J. (2016). Environmental barriers and the production of disability for seniors with age-related vision loss (ARVL): A critical ethnographic study. Canadian Journal on Aging.
- McGrath, C., Laliberte Rudman, D., Polgar, J., Spafford, M., & Trentham, B. (2016). Negotiating ‘positive’ aging in the presence of age-related vision loss (ARVL): The shaping and perpetuation of disability. Journal of Aging Studies.
- Trentham B, Sokoloff S, Tsang A, Neysmith S.(2015). Social media and senior citizen advocacy: An inclusive tool to resist ageism?. Politics, Groups and Identities. 3(3): 558-571.
- Hunt, A. W., Le Dorze, G., Trentham, B., Polatajko, H. J., & Dawson, D. R.(2015). Elucidating a goalsetting continuum in brain injury rehabilitation. Qualitative Health Research. 25(8): 1044-1055.
- O’Brien KK, Solomon P, Trentham B, MacLachlan D, MacDermid J, Tynan AM, Baxter L, Casey A,Chegwidden W, Robinson G, Tran T, Wu J, Zack E.(2014). Evidence-informed recommendations in rehabilitation for older adults living with HIV: A knowledge synthesis. BMJ Open. 4(5): 1-11.
- Rigby, P., Trentham, B., & Letts, L., (2014). Modifying performance contexts. In B. Schell,G Gillen & M. Scaffa (Eds.). Willard and Spackman’s Occupational Therapy 12 Ed. Chapter 29.
- Trentham, B., & Cockburn, L. (2011). Occupational therapy in community health centres. In M. Thew, M. Edwards, M. Molineux, & S. Baptiste. Role emerging occupational therapy: Maximising occupation focussed practice.(pp. 97-110)Oxford: Blackwell Wiley.
- Cockburn, L., & Trentham, B. (2010). Meaningful occupation and health. Invited chapter in N. Thapa-Gorder & S. Boight-Radloff (Eds.) Occupational therapy in prevention and health promotion. Stuttgart, Germany: Georg Thieme Verlag Publisher.
- Trentham, B., & Dunal, L. (2009). Identifying occupational performance issues with older adults: Therapists’ perspectives. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 76, (5), 326-334.
- Trentham, B., Cockburn, L., & Shin, J. (2007). Health promotion and community development: An application to occupational therapy in primary health care. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 26(2), 53-70.
- Townsend, E., Trentham, B., Clark, J., Dubouloz-Wilner, C., Pentland, W., Doble, S., & Laliberte-Rudman, D. (2007). Enabling individual change (Chapter 5). In E. Townsend & H. Polatajko, (primary authors). Enabling occupation II: Advancing an occupational therapy vision for health, well-being, & justice through occupation. Ottawa: CAOT Publications ACE.
- Trentham, B., Cockburn, L., Cameron, D., & Iwama, M. (2007). Diversity and inclusion within an occupational therapy curriculum. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal (Early on-line version).
- Kirsh, B., Trentham, B., & Cole, S. (2006). Diversity in occupational therapy: Experiences of consumers who identify themselves as minority group members. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal (Early on-line version).
- Trentham, B., & Cockburn, L. (2005). “Participatory action research: Creating new knowledge and opportunities for occupational engagement”. In F. Kronenberg, S. Algado, & N. Pollard, (Eds.) Occupational therapists without borders: Learning from the spirit of survivors. Oxford; Elsevier Science.
- Kyle, G., Suthers, K. Stier, J., Trentham, B. (2016). Examining Pre-Retirement Planning Programs Using an Occupational Approach: A Scoping Review.
- Singh H, Tam J, Stier J, Trentham B. (2016). Factors influencing community engagement with the AccessTO Initiative.
- Khan F, Bunker A, Davis J, Trentham B. (2016). Occupational narratives of transgender individuals: Exploring gender identity and expression.
- Kavanaugh L, Ramos C Trentham B. (2015). Informing primary care occupational therapy practice with seniors.
- Jabbari A, De Leon D, Davis J, Trentham B. (2015). Occupational narratives of women with severe and enduring eating disorders [paper presentation].
- Rudachyk, A., Feasby, L., Trentham, B., & Cameron, D. Stories from Abroad: Student Occupational Therapists Navigating International Fieldwork Barriers (2012-13).
- Chui, R., Ho, N., Trentham, B., & Polatajko, H. J. Transitioning into long-term care: Narratives of Chinese-Canadian families. (2011-12).
- Jimmou, J., Bierbrier, A. Trentham, B. A critical review of the use of gender in occupational therapy literature.(2011-12).
- Crouchman, J., Landry, A., Stier, J., Davis, J., & Trentham, B. Gay male caregivers: A scoping review.(2010-11).
- Leung, J., & Pirapakaran, P., & Trentham, B. Occupational repertoires and older adults’ community group participation (2010-11).
- Gereghty, M., Schwartz, L., Cameron, J. & Trentham, B. Experiences of service provision of adult child caregivers of older parents. (co-supervisor) 2010.
- Ortal, A., Davis, J., & Trentham, B. The life history of a retired Jewish occupational therapist. (primary supervisor) 2009.
- Hastoo, T., Trentham, B., & Mihailidis, A. Perceptions of human resource personnel of potential occupational therapy roles within corporate settings. (primary supervisor) 2009.
- Badun, M., Mihailidis, A., & Trentham, B. Perceptions of medical students of the role of occupational therapists. (secondary supervisor) 2009.
- A. Atkins, L. Layzelle and S. Stewart, Davis, J., & Trentham, B. Reflections on the professional lives of retired occupational therapists. (MScOT), 2008.
Occupational perspectives on the social determinants of healthy aging; diversity and inclusion perspectives in healthcare practice and education; primary health care practice contexts; enabling senior citizenship with older adults; narrative and participatory approaches to occupational performance assessment, enablement and research.
- OCT 1271H: Enabling Occupation with Older Adults: Part 1
- OCT 1272H: Enabling Occupation with Older Adults: Part 2