Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
Andrea Duncan is an Occupational Therapist with an MBA who has worked in a variety of public and private health care settings. Andrea has maintained a core faculty position within the Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy program at the University of Toronto since 2001. Andrea is responsible for teaching MScOT students program development and program evaluation. She has also championed the unique and exciting role emerging fieldwork opportunities for students. Andrea’s research is focused on strategic business development for health care, health care market analysis, disability management, workplace wellness and knowledge translation in role emerging learning environments.
In addition to her faculty roles, Andrea is a Principal Managing Consultant for Unicycle Consulting in which she support organizations with strategic business development in the health care industry. Andrea is also the President of Occupational Solutions in which she runs a disability management firm for employers and the long term disability industry.
- Van Dyck, E., Paulson, E., Norton, L., McWhirter, M. & Duncan, A. (2016). The Comparative Effects of Hoist Sling Fabrics on Gluteal Interface Pressure in Healthy Individuals. The American Journal of Safe Patient Handling and Movement, 6 (March).
- Stergiou-Kita, M., Pritlove, C ., Holness, L., Kirsch, B., van Eerd, D., Duncan, A. & Jones, J. (2016). Am I Ready to Return to Work? Assisting Cancer Survivors to Determine Work Readiness. Journal of Cancer Survivorship: Research and Practice (January 27, 2016).
- Kalef, L., Beck, L., & Duncan, A. (2015). Role Emerging Occupational Therapy – From Classroom and Fieldwork to Practice. OT Now, 17 (6).
- Vaisberg, S., Duncan, A., Laing, T., Khosla, B., Stack, R., & Barker, D. (2014). Students creating innovative occupational therapy roles through integration of academic and fieldwork curricula. OT Now 16(1).
- Program Evaluation of a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Community of Practice. Stephanie Ellis, 2017.
- Role emerging fieldwork and its impact on student competency development. Sobiya Syed, 2017.
- Leadership through an Occupational Lens. Sasha Shams and Ravneet Baith, 2017.
- Women and Substance Abuse: Views on occupational roles and performance along the substance abuse journey. Nadine Narain, Zainab Mahmood and Wing Nam Liu, 2016.
- Evaluating the effect of a structured community based sport program on gross motor and social skill development for children ages 3-6. Ishanee Jahagirdar and Laura Venditti, 2015.
- A scoping review of interventions for women engaging in addiction based occupations. Margaret Ramsay and Alison Leppard, 2015.
Program Evaluation, Program development, Disability Management, Mental health and Addictions, Role Emerging fieldwork and Flipped Classroom pedagogy.
- OCT 1133: Professional Practice #3
- OCT1132: Professional Practice #2
- HLTC17H3: Introduction to Rehabilitation Science
- Duncan, A. (2016) “Breaking the Barrier of Starting your Own Private Practice and Making it Sustainable – Part 1 and Part 2.” Accepted to Ontario Society of Occupational Therapy Conference, Two Oral Presentations.
- Narain, N., Mahmood, Z., Liu, W. & Duncan, A. (2016). “The self-perceived effects of participation in peer-led substance abuse programs on women’s occupational performance” Accepted to Canadian Association of Occupational Therapy Conference, Oral Paper Presentation.
- Duncan, A., Beck, L., Kalef., L., Sheffe., S., Danziger, J., Etlin-Stein, M., Landry, A. (2015). OTpreneur! Getting Your Practice Off the Ground Accepted to Ontario Society of Occupational Therapy Conference, Oral Presentation.
- Duncan, A. (2015) “The Flipped Classroom – Teaching the Next Generation of Occupational Therapist” Accepted to Canadian Association of Occupational Therapy Conference, Individual Oral Paper Presentation.
- Bossers, A., Murphy, S., White, C., Storr, C., Schmitz, C., Shimmell, L., Barker, D., Campbell-Rempel, M., Drynan, D., Duncan, A., Kolber, L., Mendez, L., Constantin, E., Boucher, D. & Dennis, D. (2015) “Role-emerging fieldwork: Academic influence on new directions for practice.” Accepted to Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Conference. Extended Discussion Presentation.
- Duncan, A., Nadeau, B., Turner, T. & Beisbier, S. (2015) “Role Emerging Fieldwork Placements – Reflections from Canada and the US.” Accepted to American Occupational Therapy Association Conference. Oral presentation.
- Duncan, A., Frost, L. & Darrah, A. (2015) “Safe Patient Handling Programs – How to become your workplace champion.” Accepted to American Occupational Therapy Association Conference. Oral presentation.
- Van Dyck, E., Paulson, E. & Duncan, A. (2014) “The comparative effects of hoist sling fabrics on gluteal interface pressure in healthy individuals.” Canadian Occupational Therapy Association Conference. Poster presentation.
- “Evidence-Based Safe Patient Handling and Mobility: A Full-Day Interactive and Hands-On Institute” American Occupational Therapy Association, April 2014, with Lenore Frost, Amy Darragh, Patricia Mechan and Andrew Rich.
- “Evidence-Based Safe Patient Handling and Mobility” HITE Symposium, Ohio State University, April 2014, with Lenore Frost, Amy Darragh, Patricia Mechan and Andrew Rich.
- “Evidence-Based Safe Patient Handling and Movement – An Interactive Full Day Hands On Course” HITE Family Symposium, OHIO State University, April 2014, with Lenore Frost, Patricia Mechan and Andrew Rich.
- “Evidence Based Safe Patient Handling and Movement” HITE Family Symposium, OHIO State University, April 2014, with Amy Darragh, Lenore Frost, Patricia Mechan and Andrew Rich.
- A Paradigm Shift: Educators Teach Evidence-based Safe Patient Handling As Best Practice” American Occupational Therapy Association, April 2013, with Lenore Frost.
- “Evidence-Based Safe Patient Handling and Movement for Therapists and Students” American Occupational Therapy Association, April 2013, with Lenore Frost and Amy Darragh.
- “Marketing and New Business Development in the OT Marketplace” Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists Webinar, May, 2013.
- “Moving and Handling Training is a Marathon, not a sprint” at the National Back Exchange Conference, Hinckley, UK, September 2012, with Norma Richardson.
- “Advancing and Inventing our Future – Enabling OTs to be their Best Champions” at the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists Conference, with Liz Mullan. September 2011, March 2012, April 2012, May 2012.